Please direct inquiries regarding this position to:
Thursday, August 8 2019
Friday, August 23 2019
The Town of The Blue Mountains is a growing and progressive, four-season community with stunning natural features, including the Niagara Escarpment, Beaver Valley and the Georgian Bay shoreline, and the various recreational activities and experiences they afford. We are seeking to fill the position of Director of Operations.
Advantages of The Blue Mountains include excellent quality of life, endless opportunities, the amenities of a complete community and proximity to the Greater Toronto Area, come join us!
- Sits as a member of the Senior Management Team that evaluates and recommends efficiencies across departments/divisions of the Town of The Blue Mountains and drives continuous improvement and program review and evaluates all budgets prior to review by Committee and Council.
- Held ultimately accountable for all activities related to the Town’s roads, storm water management, potable water, wastewater, transportation, bridges, waste management, environmental initiatives, programs and facilities and engineering related to assumed municipal infrastructure and municipally-driven infrastructure projects.
- Responsible for the management and representation of the department and to ensure strategic and operational alignment with the Town’s strategic plan.
- Ensure the responsibilities and direction of the Senior Management team are carried out in an efficient manner.
- Assume carriage and responsibility of corporate wide initiatives and projects as assigned from time to time, and share in the corporate oversight of the planning and implementation of cross-departmental projects and issues.
- Assist Council, other members of the Senior Management team and the Chief Administrative Officer in the oversight of the corporate strategic direction, decision making and planning, providing managerial experience and departmental and technical/operational insights and perspectives.
- Ensure long term planning, infrastructure installation, asset management, effective and efficient day-to-day operation and maintenance, and replacement for roads, bridges, water, wastewater, storm water management, solid waste disposal services and related facilities. Supervise and/or review the preparation and analysis of technical studies and proposals on issues related to Town owned infrastructure or Town driven infrastructure projects. Authorize and/or recommend to Council on same.
- Prepare, review, recommend and implement annual capital and operating budgets, and forecasts and potential funding sources; monitor and administer approved departmental budgets and report on same, and authorize payments of accounts.
- Develop and/or review, revise as necessary, and standardize departmental policies and procedures, engineering, construction and equipment specifications, design criteria, and service levels and standards for assumed municipal infrastructure and Town infrastructure projects. In conjunction and cooperation with the Town’s Director of Planning and Development, maintain the Town’s Engineering Standards to industry best practices.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Requires a University Degree in a related field.
- Eight to ten (8-10) years of progressive senior management experience overseeing administration of Operations/Public Works functions, including transportation, operations, water supply and distribution, sanitary sewage and treatment, storm water management and roads and drainage, preferably in a municipal or public sector environment.
- Possess a Class “G” driver license valid in the Province of Ontario.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the legislation and policies that affect the Department, including familiarity with municipal law, insurance and employee relations.
- Experience developing, and managing capital and operational projects.
- Technical knowledge of the Municipal Act, Drainage Act, Public Utilities Act, Highway Traffic Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, Water Resources Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act and other applicable legislation.
- Superior leadership, organizational, interpersonal relations, oral and written communication.
- Broad range of experience in a variety of areas including all disciplines of Civil Engineering, administration and management, finance and accounting, statute, contract and common law, fleet procurement and management, and computer applications related to engineering and management.
- Ability to work with elected and non-elected officials and staff at all levels.
- Proficient with personal computers and related software utilized by the Department.
Information for Interested Candidates:
The submission deadline for applications is 4:30 p.m. on Friday August 23, 2019
Hourly Salary Range: $117,644.11 - $137,622.83
Full Time – 1 Position
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Personal information provided by the applicants is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.